Friday, December 9, 2016

Friday, December 9, 2016 - Day 5

Computers 8

Today we discussed the results of the students mini-search to discover on what day of the week Drake's birthday will fall in 2018.  The students then completed 2 additional mini-searches.  The first was relatively easy:  What was the top selling Christmas toy in 1981?  The second was more difficult:  What was the warmest temperature in Saskatoon on December 25, 1999?  If you did not finish your search please do so before next class.

ELA 9A & 9B

The students wrote their exam on The Outsiders novel and were presented with three final project options from which to choose.  If you were absent and did not write your exam please be prepared to do so either Monday after school or Tuesday at lunch in Miss Riddell's room.  

Final Projects for The Outsiders


OPTION #1
Recast the main characters with current actors.  You will choose an actor for each character and then explain why you chose them and support that with two quotes from the book.  When you have all your characters chosen you will create a trailer for your movie.

Example:
Ex:  Marcia – Ariel Winter

 Photo from www.flickr.com by modasplendida

I chose Ariel Winter from Modern family because she has dark hair and she is a comedic actress.  Marcia is described as dark haired and funny, which fits Ariel although they might have to cut her hair or style it differently.

“They were tuff-looking girls – dressed sharp and really good looking.  They were about sixteen or seventeen.  One had short dark hair.” P – 21

“’I’m a night,’ Marcia said brightly.
Two-Bit stared at her admiringly.  ‘Brother, you’re a sharp one. Where’d you two ever get picked up by a couple of greasy hoods like Pony and Johnny?’
‘We really picked them up,’ Marcia said. ‘We’re really Arabian slave traders and we’re thinking about shanghaiing them. They’re worth ten camels apiece at least.’” P – 28

OPTION #2
Create a current soundtrack for the movie.  Choose a song for each main character/main event and explain the reasons you chose each song.  Then back-up your choice with two quotes from the book, including the page numbers. Type out this information in Google Classroom, include the lyrics for each song. When you are done then create a playlist on YouTube of videos for your songs.

Example:   "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel

Uptown girl
She's been living in her uptown world
I bet she never had a backstreet guy
I bet her mama never told her why

I'm gonna try for an uptown girl
She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she's looking for a downtown man
That's what I am

And when she knows what
She wants from her time
And when she wakes up
And makes up her mind

She'll see I'm not so tough
Just because
I'm in love with an uptown girl

You know I've seen her in her uptown world
She's getting tired of her high class toys
And all her presents from her uptown boys
She's got a choice

Uptown girl
You know I can't afford to buy her pearls
But maybe someday when my ship comes in
She'll understand what kind of guy I've been
And then I'll win

And when she's walking
She's looking so fine
And when she's talking
She'll say that she's mine

She'll say I'm not so tough
Just because
I'm in love
With an uptown girl

She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she's looking for a downtown man
That's what I am

Uptown girl
She's my uptown girl
You know I'm in love
With an uptown girl
My uptown girl
You know I'm in love
With an uptown girl
My uptown girl

I chose this song to show Dallas and Cherry’s relationship.  Cherry is an ‘uptown girl’ because she is a Soc while Dallas is a ‘backstreet guy’ because he is a Greaser. Cherry could love Dallas because even though he is tough and can’t afford to buy her things but she is scared to love him and become part of his world.

“Dally was getting impatient.  He put his feet up on the back of the redhead’s chair, winked at me, and beat his own record for saying something dirty.  She turned around and gave him a cool stare.
   ’Take your feet off my chair and shut your trap.’
   Boy, she was good-looking.  I’d seen her before; she was a cheerleader at our school.  I’d always thought she was stuck-up.
   Dally merely looked at her and kept his feet where they were. ‘Who’s gonna make me?’” p - 21

“He had something that made people follow him, something that marked him different, maybe a little better, than the crowd.  Do you know what I mean?’
  I did.  Cherry saw the same things in Dallas.  That was why she was afraid to see him, afraid of loving him.” P - 129

Option #3
Part A – Create a Fakebook (Facebook) page for the movie.  Choose 12 main events from the book.  Make an avatar for each main character. Then have the characters make status updates, have 3-4 replies for each main event, and one reply from the original poster (using one or two quotes from the book including the page number.)  Go to www.classtools.net to create your page, put the link in a document on Google Classroom and turn in.  Alternately you can set this up in Word to look like a FaceBook page.
Next week we will spend every class working on this and it will be due Friday, December 16th.

*Have a great weekend and stay warm!




No comments:

Post a Comment